Title: How to Uninstall OBS from Mac: A Step-by-Step Guide
If you’ve ever searched for a solution to uninstall OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) from your Mac, then you’re in the right place. In this article, we’ll guide you through every step of the process, ensuring a clean and complete removal of the software from your system. But first, let’s take a quick look at what OBS is, why you might want to uninstall it, and the problems some users face when attempting to do so.
What is OBS and Why Uninstall It?
OBS is a free and open-source software used for video recording and live streaming. It’s highly popular among gamers, podcasters, and content creators due to its powerful functionality and ease of use. However, there might be various reasons to uninstall OBS from your Mac, such as:
– Free up storage space
– Resolve software conflicts or performance issues
– Upgrade to a different video recording application
– Stop using the software altogether
While uninstalling OBS from a Mac may seem like a simple task, some users encounter difficulties or end up leaving residual files that clutter their system. So now that we know the reasons, let’s dive into the step-by-step guide on how to uninstall OBS from Mac.
Step 1: Quit OBS and Other Running Applications
Before uninstalling OBS or any other software, it’s crucial to quit the application and any other running apps that may interfere with the removal process. To do this, click on the OBS icon in the dock, and then choose ‘Quit OBS’ from the menu.
Step 2: Remove OBS from the Applications Folder
The next step in the process is to remove the OBS application file from your Mac. To do this, open the ‘Applications’ folder, locate the OBS app, and drag it to the ‘Trash’ located in your dock. Alternatively, you can right-click on the app and select ‘Move to Trash.’
Step 3: Eliminate OBS Support Files
Though you’ve removed the OBS application itself, there are still some support files left in your system that need to be deleted. Here’s how to find and remove them:
1. Open ‘Finder’ and click on ‘Go’ in the menu bar.
2. Hold the ‘Option’ key on your keyboard, and the ‘Library’ folder will appear in the dropdown menu. Click on it.
3. In the Library folder, look for folders with names related to OBS, like ‘Application Support,’ ‘Caches,’ ‘Preferences,’ and ‘Logs.’
4. Open each folder and search for any files or subfolders related to OBS, such as:
5. Drag these files and folders to the ‘Trash.’
Step 4: Empty the Trash Can
Now that you’ve removed the OBS application and its support files, it’s time to empty the trash can to completely uninstall OBS from your Mac. To do this, click and hold on the ‘Trash’ icon in the dock, and then select ‘Empty Trash.’ Confirm your action when prompted.
Alternative Method: Use an Uninstaller Application
If you prefer using software to help you with the uninstallation process, there are multiple uninstaller applications available for Mac, such as AppCleaner, CleanMyMac, or AppZapper. These apps simplify the process by automatically searching for and removing all associated files, offering a hassle-free experience.
In this article, we’ve covered the simple and effective way on how to uninstall OBS from Mac. By following the steps outlined above, you can ensure that OBS is entirely removed from your system without any leftover files. Now your Mac is free from OBS and ready for whatever new applications you’d like to install or other tasks you need to perform.
Best OBS Settings To Record using Mac 
How To Remove Windows from Mac (Boot Camp)
How do I completely remove OBS from my computer?
To completely remove OBS Studio from your computer, follow these steps:
1. Close OBS Studio: Ensure that OBS Studio isn’t running in the background. If it’s open, close it before proceeding.
2. Uninstall OBS Studio:
a. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
b. Type “appwiz.cpl” (without quotes) and press Enter to open the Programs and Features window.
c. Locate OBS Studio in the list of installed programs, right-click on it, and select Uninstall. Follow the prompts to complete the uninstallation process.
a. Open the Applications folder.
b. Locate the OBS Studio app, and drag it to the Trash.
c. Right-click on the Trash icon and select Empty Trash.
3. Delete Configuration Files: To completely remove any residual files and settings, delete the OBS Studio configuration folder.
a. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog.
b. Type “%APPDATA%” (without quotes) and press Enter to open the Roaming folder.
c. Locate the obs-studio folder, right-click on it, and select Delete.
a. Open a Finder window, press Cmd + Shift + G to open the “Go to Folder” dialog.
b. Type “~/Library/Application Support/” (without quotes) and press Enter.
c. Locate the obs-studio folder, right-click on it, and select Move to Trash.
After completing these steps, OBS Studio should be completely removed from your computer.
Can you get rid of OBS?
Uninstalling OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) is a simple process that can be done in just a few steps.
To get rid of OBS, follow these steps:
1. Close OBS: Ensure the OBS application is closed before you begin the uninstallation process.
2. For Windows users:
a. Open the Control Panel.
b. Navigate to “Uninstall a program” under the “Programs” category.
c. Locate OBS in the list of installed programs and click on it.
d. Select “Uninstall” and follow the prompts to complete the process.
3. For Mac users:
a. Open the Finder application.
b. Navigate to the Applications folder.
c. Locate the OBS application within the folder.
d. Right-click on the OBS app and select “Move to Trash” or just drag the OBS app to the Trash.
e. Empty your Trash to completely remove OBS from your system.
After completing these steps, you have successfully uninstalled OBS from your computer.
How do I uninstall OBS virtual camera on Mac?
To uninstall OBS Virtual Camera on Mac, follow these simple steps:
1. Close OBS Studio: Ensure that OBS Studio isn’t running on your Mac.
2. Open the Terminal: Go to Spotlight (the magnifying glass icon on the top right corner) and type “Terminal” in the search bar or navigate to Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
3. Enter the following commands: In the Terminal, input the following commands one at a time and press Enter after each command. These commands will remove the necessary files related to OBS Virtual Camera:
– `sudo rm /Library/CoreMediaIO/Plug-Ins/DAL/VirtualCam.plugin`
– `sudo rm -rf /Applications/OBS.app`
– `sudo rm /Library/Application Support/obs-studio/plugins/obs-virtual-cam`
Note: You may be prompted to enter your admin password after typing the first command.
4. Restart your Mac: After you have entered all the commands and the Terminal has finished processing them, restart your Mac for the changes to take effect.
5. Verify the uninstallation: Once your Mac has restarted, open your video conferencing app and check if OBS Virtual Camera is no longer available as a camera option.
By following these steps, you should successfully uninstall OBS Virtual Camera on your Mac.
Where is OBS on Mac?
To locate OBS (Open Broadcaster Software) on your Mac, you need to navigate to the Applications folder. This is where OBS and other installed applications can be found. To uninstall OBS, follow these steps:
1. Open the Finder application.
2. Go to the Applications folder.
3. Locate the OBS application.
4. Right-click (or control-click) on the OBS app and select “Move to Trash” or “Move to Bin”.
5. Empty the Trash (or Bin) to complete the uninstallation process.
Please note that this process removes the main OBS application but does not necessarily remove all associated configuration files and folders. It’s a good idea to search for any additional related files by using the search function in Finder and typing “OBS.” Delete any leftover files or folders related to OBS found during the search.
What are the detailed steps to completely remove OBS Studio from a Mac in the context of uninstalling applications?
Uninstalling OBS Studio from a Mac can be done through the following steps:
1. Quit OBS Studio: Before uninstalling, make sure OBS Studio is not running. Close the application if it’s open.
2. Open Finder: Click on the Finder icon in your dock to open a new Finder window.
3. Navigate to the Applications folder: In the Finder window, locate and click on the “Applications” folder in the left sidebar.
4. Find OBS Studio: Inside the Applications folder, search for “OBS Studio” or “OBS.app”. You can use the search bar in the upper right corner of the Finder window to locate the app quickly.
5. Drag OBS Studio to Trash: Click and hold the OBS Studio icon, then drag it to the Trash icon in the dock. This will move the app to the trash, removing it from your Applications folder.
6. Empty Trash: To permanently delete OBS Studio from your Mac, right-click the Trash icon in the dock and select “Empty Trash.” Be aware that this action will delete all items in the Trash, not just OBS Studio.
7. Remove OBS Studio settings and support files: Some residual files may still be present on your Mac after deleting the app. To ensure a complete removal, follow these steps:
– Open Finder.
– In the menu bar, click on “Go” and then select “Go to Folder” or press Shift + Command + G.
– Type ~/Library/Application Support in the text box and click “Go.”
– Locate the obs-studio folder and drag it to Trash.
– Repeat the “Go to Folder” process and enter ~/Library/Preferences.
– Find and delete any files related to OBS Studio, such as com.obsproject.obs-studio.plist.
– Empty the Trash.
After completing these steps, OBS Studio should be completely removed from your Mac.
Is there any difference between uninstalling OBS Studio from a Mac and removing other apps, or is the process the same?
There is **no significant difference** between uninstalling OBS Studio from a Mac and removing other apps. The process is generally the same. To uninstall OBS Studio or any other application on a Mac, follow these steps:
1. Open the **Finder** app.
2. Click on **Applications** in the left sidebar.
3. Locate **OBS Studio** (or the app you want to remove) in the list of applications.
4. **Right-click** on the app and select **Move to Trash** or simply **drag and drop** the app to the Trash icon in the dock.
Keep in mind that some applications may leave behind residual files after being moved to Trash. To remove these files, you can use a third-party app like **AppCleaner** or manually search and remove the remaining files in your **Library** folder.
Remember to **empty the Trash** to permanently delete the app and free up disk space.
Are there any recommended tools or software specifically designed for uninstalling OBS Studio from a Mac to ensure a clean removal?
Yes, there are recommended tools specifically designed for uninstalling OBS Studio from a Mac to ensure a clean removal. One of the most popular and effective tools for this task is AppCleaner. AppCleaner allows you to thoroughly uninstall unwanted apps by scanning and removing all associated files that may be left behind by traditional dragging-to-trash methods.
To use AppCleaner to remove OBS Studio from your Mac, follow these steps:
1. Download and install AppCleaner from its official website (https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/).
2. Launch the AppCleaner application.
3. Drag the OBS Studio app icon into the AppCleaner window.
4. Check all the files and folders related to OBS Studio that you wish to remove.
5. Click on the “Remove” or “Delete” button to uninstall OBS Studio completely from your Mac.
Using a dedicated uninstaller software like AppCleaner ensures that all components of OBS Studio are removed without leaving any residual files, resulting in a clean uninstallation.
- Windows2023.05.12Utilizing the Office Uninstall Tool: A Comprehensive Guide for Effective Removal of Microsoft Office Suite
- Mode2023.05.12Step-by-Step Guide to Disabling Safe Mode in Tumblr: Unleashing the Full Potential of Content Discovery
- Windows2023.05.12Comprehensive Guide to Utilizing the Office Uninstall Tool for Efficient Removal of Microsoft Office Suite
- Mode2023.05.12Step-by-Step Guide to Disabling Safe Mode on Tumblr: Unveiling the Hidden Content You’ve Been Missing Out On